- Vision, Mission and Goals
Vision, Mission and Goals
The Society aims to achieve both a social and an educational objective with this project. Social objective: the primary objective of the project is to bring quality health care within the reach of common man in the district of BURDWAN and to reduce the gap between the demand and supply of health care in the region.
by setting up educational institutions the Society wants to train the future health care personnel and increase the number of doctors in the society and bring down the existing patient-doctor ratio in the region and reduce the burden on the over-burdened medical fraternity of today.
GIMSH aspires to be the leading university of choice for specialized and professional education, providing holistic academic standards which are relevant to the needs of the industry and meeting the global expectations whilst maintaining the highest ethical standards.
GIMSH will strive:
- To mould graduates of high moral values and distinction; committed to lifelong learning, leadership, integrity and professionalism, in response to the national and global needs.
- To advance the boundaries of scholarship; by providing affordable educational opportunities, training and services, beyond the measure of expectations.
- To produce graduates who are highly employable; by maintaining impeccable standards and quality in the curriculum, which is worthy of continued recognition, accreditation, certification and industry-relevant.
- To uphold a culture of academic excellence; reflective of the highest standards of innovative teaching-learning approaches and strategies.
- To be fully committed towards ensuring a high rate of student success; by providing an intellectually stimulating learning environment, that is conducive to support, nurture and advance teaching, learning and research at the University.
General Educational Goal & Educational Objectives
Goal 1 : Generate competent, professional and employable graduates
- To develop graduates with essential knowledge and technical skills relevant to the industry needs.
- To enhance the graduate’s employability by developing their professional competencies.
- To develop communication, interpersonal and leadership skills.
- To inculcate personal and professional development and the ability to adapt to change.
- To harness critical thinking and problem-solving ability in performing tasks and operations intrinsic to the profession.
- To nurture essential skills and attitude such as environmental awareness, organizational and planning skills, social responsibility and professional ethics.
- To enhance information management and technical skills in conducting research.
- To foster entrepreneurial skills and lifelong learning.
Goal 2 : Provide affordable educational opportunities
- To enhance the University’s visibility to the community through quality programs and competitive fees.
- To provide financial assistance for eligible students based on merit and socio-economic background.
- To promote equal access to higher education.
- To develop access and progress routes for students from all backgrounds.
Goal 3 : Strengthen the quality of academic programs
- To acquire recognition, accreditation and certification for all academic programs from local and international bodies
- To attain professional certification for relevant programmes.
- To engage external assessors and reviewers in benchmarking the quality of programmes.
- To conduct regular internal audits and curriculum reviews in ensuring compliance to standards and good practices of academic delivery.
- To conduct periodic assessments and evaluations to motivate and upgrade students’ learning.
- To obtain feedback regularly and systematically from stakeholders for continual quality improvement (CQI).
- To build continuous improvement using feedback mechanisms from various stakeholders.
Goal 4 : Foster holistic academic excellence
- To maintain competent faculty in ensuring quality teaching and learning process.
- To foster academic excellence through mentoring and thoughtful guidance from faculty.
- To provide opportunities for professional development in teaching, learning and assessment.
- To develop recognition and reward systems to encourage teaching, learning and academic excellence.
- To encourage student mobility through recognition, international student exchange program (ISEP) and articulation.
- To provide students with international exposure through international study tours.
- To encourage students to participate in competitions nationally and internationally.
- To strengthen industry linkages through internship programmes.
- To enhance graduate employability skills among students.
- To encourage students’ participation in community services.
- To prepare graduates for entry to higher level education.
Goal 5 : Provide conducive learning environment
- To provide creative and innovative teaching-learning approaches throughout the curriculum.
- To enhance academic instructions of all faculty by providing internal and external consultation and pedagogical approaches.
- To develop a faculty distinguished for academic excellence through pursuance of professional growth and development
- To engage students in rigorous educational programmes and provide an environment conducive to success.
- To develop programmes in response to the changing needs of students, employers and international standards.
- To improve access to resources and integrated learning environments.
- To utilise information technology, multimedia tools and other related technology-based devices in teaching and learning.
- To creatively develop teaching and learning spaces to meet better needs of staff and students.
Goal 6 : Encourage research development
- To strengthen faculty research and opportunities for collaborative projects.
- To enhance the research environment and expertise of faculty and staff.
- To increase funded research through grants.
- To promote academic excellence of a faculty through research attainment.
- To develop research skills for graduates to embark in postgraduate research later in their lives.
- To nurture industry engagement for the commercialisation of research works.
After graduation, GIMSH graduates are expected to possess the following attributes:
- Acquire sound knowledge and skills in the field of study.
- Ability to demonstrate effective communication skills and leadership qualities in a team.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems critically and creatively.
- Demonstrate functional versatility individually or in a multicultural and multidisciplinary team.
- Competent in their chosen profession and adaptable to change.
- Function effectively in all working environment nationally and globally
- Entrepreneurial and innovative in business, workplace and the community.
- Demonstrate professionalism and ethics in career and community.
- Utilise information management and technology skills in lifelong learning.
- Demonstrate the ability to conduct research for learning, career and community.
- Support and promote community engagement through social and community services
General Objectives of the MBBS Program
The undergraduate students coming out from Gouri Devi Institute of Medical Sciences:
- Be competent in diagnosis and management of common health problems of the individual and community, commensurate with his/her position as a member of the health care team at the primary secondary or tertiary levels using his/her clinical skills based on history, physical examination and relevant investigations;
- Be competent to practice preventive, promotive, curative and rehabilitative medicine in respect to the commonly encountered health problems;
- Appreciate rationale for different therapeutic modalities, be familiar with the administration of the ‘essential drugs’ and their common side effects;
- Be able to appreciate the socio-psychological, cultural, economic and environmental factor affecting health and develop humane attitude towards the patients in discharging one’s professional responsibilities;
- Possess the attitude for continued self-learning and to seek further expertise or to pursue research in any chosen area of medicine;
- Be familiar with basic factors which are essential for the implementation of the National Health Programmes including practical aspects of the following:
- Family Welfare & Maternal and Child Health [MCH]
- Sanitation and water supply
- Prevention and control of communicable and non-communicable disease
- Immunization and Health Education
- Acquire basic management skills in the area of human resources, materials and resource management related to health care delivery;
- Be able to identify community health problem and learn to work to resolve these by designing, instituting corrective steps and evaluating outcome of such measures.
- Be able to work in a variety of health care settings; and have personal characteristics and attitudes required for professional life such as personal integrity, sense of responsibility and dependability and ability to relate to or show concern for other individuals.