Department of Anesthesiology
The Department of Anaesthesiology at GIMSH offers undergraduate teaching programs and research and administration in various areas throughout the hospital.
It also provides expertise in the care of critical patients in ICU, and management of acute and chronic pain. The scope of anaesthesiology includes non-surgery related pain management, management of painful syndromes; monitoring, restoring and maintaining haemostasis; teaching CPR and evaluating and applying respiratory therapy.
The department provides pre-operative care to patients undergoing surgical procedure in the operation theatre which include neuro-surgical, vascular, orthopaedic, plastics, ophthalmologic, ENT, gynaecologic, urologic and general and minimally invasive surgery.
- The department has a 24 hours peri-operative service, apt enough to handle any kind of surgical emergencies and critical care of the patients and is committed to evidence based practice, continuous quality improvement, research and teaching.
- The department provides expertise in airway management, resuscitation and trauma management.
- Courses in airway training and advanced life support training are routinely held by the department.
- The department has educational tie-ups with various other hospitals and institutes in the region in order to ensure continuous quality enhancement.
- The department has a dedicated pre-anaesthetic check-up clinic and pain clinic in order to ensure maximum exposure to trainee students.
- Anaesthetic assistance to various specialities in the hospital including general surgery, minimal invasive surgery, gynaecologic, ophthalmologic, ENT and dental surgeries.
- Care of critical patients in intensive care unit.
- Pain management services including labour analgesia, cancer pain treatment and other chronic pain conditions.