The Department of Psychiatry at GIMSH offers undergraduate teaching for MBBS students.
The department deals with the study of pathogenesis, diagnosis and treatment of mental and behavioral disorders. The diseases that a psychiatrist commonly deals with are schizophrenia, depression, several types of anxiety disorders, OCD and can be as varied as dementia, disorders of sexual function, or childhood disorders such as Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
The department is also actively involved in research.
- Diagnosis and treatment of various psychiatric illnesses.
- 24X7 emergency services ensured by a consultant at all times.
- Facilities will be made available for electroencephalography, electroconvulsive therapy as well as bio-feedback.
- Consultation liaison provided to other departments of the hospital.
- Adequate number of beds are available for patients requiring hospitalization
- Treatment of various disorders such as depression, anxiety, schizophrenia and substance abuse.
- Drug detoxification
- Personality assessment